Share this article Return
Ionic and React native are the two leading frameworks used by the developers in 2018. however ionic is developed by Drifty in 2013 and react native is developed by Facebook. Sometimes it becomes very difficult for developers, whether to choose between iOS and Android or between Ionic vs React Native.
Before diving in the differences between Ionic vs React Native, let’s briefly remind ourselves what are Hybrid vs Native App.
What's New in Ionic 3?
- MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,
- MINOR version when you add functionality in a backward-compatible manner,
- PATCH version when you make backward-compatible bug fixes.
Advantages of the Ionic Framework
- Open source
- It helps in creating default mobile app UI functionalities easily and efficiently.
- Write once, run on all mobile devices
- It is enveloped by Cordova and PhoneGap.
- It helps in creating default mobile app UI functionalities easily and efficiently
- Good availability of "Plugins"
Features of React-Native
1. Community Support
There are considerable advantages to using such a community-driven environment like the availability of a huge team of enthusiastic JS and native developers willing to share their knowledge and expertise and huge catalogs of freely available components.
2. Code Reuse & Cost Saving
By using React Native, you can use the same code for deployment on iOS as well as on Android. This means a huge saving in development time and cost. Theoretically, the development effort could be cut by half. In practice, the cost saving will be a little lower.
3. Virtual-Dom Support
If you have two windows opened – one containing the code and the other showing a mobile screen as a result of the code – you can immediately see the effect of what you have changed in one screen, on the other screen.
The React Native architecture is very well tuned to mobile devices. It makes use of the GPU, while native platforms are more ‘CPU intensive’ which improves the performance.
5. Architecture similar to React
The modular and intuitive interface makes it very easy for other developers to delve into someone else’s project and build upon it. This increases the flexibility within a development team and makes it easier to create updates and upgrades to web applications. Additionally, testers will need less time to understand the programming logic and build appropriate testing scenarios. This will lead to valuable time-savings for both mobile and web platforms.
Advantages of React Native
- It is independent of the iOS and Android platforms. This means that the code developed can be used across both platforms.
- As React Native allows you to use the same code for deployment on iOS as well as on Android
- When discussed with so many React Native developers of this community, any issue related to React Native can be quickly solved.
- Easy and Live Reloading no need to refresh the window it automatically refreshes the virtual Dom.
- It is managed by a very strong community of developers and corporations, which helps novice developers to speed up the learning and development process.
Ionic 3 Vs React Native: Which is better
Choosing the right framework depends on many factors like your project, your user requirements, the acquired skills of your team, your budget and many factors. They both do different things, and both do it well.